Welcome to our Volunteer Registration Website
FREE TAX PREPARATION CAMPAIGN IN SOUTHWESTERN PENNSYLVANIA
Welcome, new and returning volunteers!
About the Money In Your Pocket Coalition
Each tax season, we recruit community volunteers to provide free tax help for low-income families. We are a partnership of trusted nonprofit organizations, government agencies, and United Ways. Many of the taxpayers we serve depend upon tax credits from their refunds to pay for basic needs, including rent, utilities, groceries, or transportation to and from work. You will make a difference.
Last year, 326 volunteers helped to prepare nearly 10,000 tax returns and delivered $15.6 million in refunds to Southwestern PA residents, including $6.4 million in Earned Income Tax Credits.
This tax season we are hosting 17 free tax sites in Allegheny County. Click onto the links below to learn more about each location and to sign up for the volunteer shift of your choice.
What you need to know in advance
• Your Volunteer Commitment: Volunteer tax preparers commit to 3+ hours each week during tax season. Most tax sites open in mid-January and close in mid-April. We request that you commit to the same day and time for the entire tax season.
• Volunteer Requirements: New and returning volunteers must pass an IRS-certification test before preparing taxes. New volunteers must also complete a background check.
• Training Requirements: Free online and classroom tax training for all volunteers is provided to help you prepare for certification. Returning volunteers complete an abridged online "refresher" course (a classroom session is also available). New volunteers complete both classroom and online training. Classroom sessions are held on Fridays, Saturdays, or Sundays in January. Training requirements will vary by your level of experience and your tax site's requirements.
• Internships: University students may intern with the Money In Your Pocket Coalition. When you register, you can let us know if you are interested in an internship with us.
• Continuing Education Credits: Professional CPAs, paid preparers, enrolled agents, and attorneys can earn continuing education credits with our program. Learn more here.
Would you like more information?
You can preview ALL of our tax sites below.
Sign up by clicking the Sign Up button
next to the location and shift of your choice.